Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Journaling.

If you haven’t encountered a similar phase of evaluation and reflection, let me assure you: The very worst part is rereading adolescent journals. Hell, even rereading journals from your 20’s is tortuously humiliating.

Because it’s more than just reviewing youth’s silliness with older eyes. The mortification is in spying on this unadulterated version of yourself – you before you flushed out the best parts and contained the worst ones. It’s a front row seat at the unpolished show of What We Were, Before We Knew Better.

I had stacks and stacks of journals and diary's and would occasionally get them out and thumb through them, sometimes smiling, sometimes laughing out loud and sometimes even crying. Fourth of July several years back, I made myself a promise to pull out my journals and one by one read them, kinda like a 365 days of reflection.

Well, sadly i can no longer do this and read my past journals, an ex of mine read an entry he didn't like and took all my journals and put them in a metal barrel in the back yard and set them all ablaze.

I only now have one left, and its torn to smithereens and had burnt edges on it, now a days i journal and write and everything is left on a hard drive, but even then I haven't been being responsible and backing them up.

Reflection is sometimes the best part of my day.

Responsibility not so much.

** Come back and post about journaling in tribesman **

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a great cook, but you'll probably fall in love with me the day I set the stove on fire with my creme brulee. I can argue a case as well as a lawyer, but you'll fall in love with me because of the silly faces I make